Friday, November 2, 2012

Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters...

Back in the early 1980s, variety shows were still sort of popular.  Donny & Marie Osmond had been very successful with their show, Donny & Marie, which featured musical guests and lots of squeaky clean skits and sketches.  I never watched their show when it was on prime time.  What I did watch was Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters.   Every Saturday night at 8:00, right after Hee Haw,  I'd tune in for their country flavored variety show.  Afterwards, I'd watch The Love Boat and Fantasy Island.



Barbara Mandrell and her sisters wore snazzy-- okay tacky-- polyester outfits that were similar, but different.  They sang popular hits of the day and danced...


They had cornball musical numbers...



Toward the end of each episode, they'd show how musically talented they were by playing songs on many different instruments.  I hear Barbara can play about a dozen different instruments besides being a singer.


They even had Donny Osmond on their show.

And they performed with the Kroft Family Puppets or something like that.  They were basically redneck puppets.  At the end of each show, they sang a gospel number...




It was good clean fun.  We had no reality TV, so we had to settle for cheesy variety shows.

5 comments:

  1. My parents hat country music so they wouldn't have ever been fans of Barbara Mandrell, but they acknowledge that she was a talented performer.

    Louise Mandrell recently had an extended run for some dinner theatre in Fresno. I can't remember exactly what musical it was -- either "Annie Get Your Gun" or "Calamity Jane," I think. My aunt has always liked the Mandrells and lives only fifty miles or so from Fresno, so she went to see a performance of whatever musical it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At that time, I wasn't really a country fan either. I think I watched it because back in the 80s, I thought the sisters were glamourous. I especially though Irlene was pretty, though now when I watch those clips, she looks like a deer in the headlights. I was one of those kids who liked beauty pageants because I liked seeing the women dressed in evening gowns. Barbara's show was a little like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't a Country fan back then either, but I loved the show. It helped, for the developing boy I was, that they were hot. :)

    But I did enjoy the singing, dancing, and comedy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave! Nice to see you here! This is my "fun" blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I remember you sent it to me. I subscribed, but then got so far behind on blog reading in general.

    Loaded up my blog reader yesterday and read through a whole bunch, including my backlog here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.