Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Melissa Manchester...

Watching Fame again this morning...  From the commercials that air to the show itself, that old 80s show gives a nostalgia nerd like me plenty to write about.  Today's episode starts Melissa Manchester, who had a very powerful set of pipes back in the day.

In 1982, she had a big hit called "You Should Hear How She Talks About You"...



And look at that... this is from Solid Gold!

I actually hated this song when it was popular, but it's kind of grown on me over the years.

I am more partial to her 1979 hit, "Don't Cry Out Loud"...



In 1979, people like Barry Manilow, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, and Neil Diamond were making hits.  Melissa Manchester had to contribute her own Broadway-esque ballad.  I actually think this is one of her best songs.  It's still majestic today, even if it's very melodramatic.


"Midnight Blue" is an early 70s hit...


...while "Through the Eyes of Love" was the love theme for Ice Castles.  I actually love singing this song and I love the film, cheesy as it is.

Melissa Manchester is now in her early 60s.  I don't know what she's doing now, but it was fun to see her on Fame.  I think this was one of the few episodes I had never seen before...

2 comments:

  1. my mom said she liked "Fame" when she was a kid. She really liked a song "Out here on my own" and sand it at about a million performances. Now she thinks it's really cheesy and wouldn't sing it if someone paid her big bucks to do so.

    I like "Don't Cry Out Loud," though it doesn't totally make sense to me. Remembering you almost had it all would be little consolation. My mom's favorite Melissa Manchester song (she thinks it was melissa Manchester's) was "Come In From the Rain.' I don't really like that one.

    My mom laughs about loving a song from a similar genre when she was little. she loved "The Morning After" from "The Poseidon Adventure." She said she saw the movie in a theatre when she was about eight and pretended to love it but actually hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah... "The Morning After" was sung by Maureen McGovern, the so-called Stradivarius of vocalists... or so she bills herself. When I was little, my dad had one of her albums on vinyl and there were a couple of songs from it I liked. I think about that now and just laugh. She had a song called "Love Knots" and another called "Everybody Wants To Call You Sweetheart"... as a kid, they appealed to me. Today, not so much!

    And I know "Out Here On My Own"... yet another very melodramatic song. I've sung it many times myself. It's VERY 80s with schmaltzy lyrics.

    I wasn't familiar with "Come In From The Rain". I had to check it out. It's not bad, but it's very 70s.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.