Thursday, April 20, 2017

Spyro Gyra...

I am one of those people who gets music stuck on the brain for literally years and years.  It will haunt me until I figure out what the title of the piece is, who performed it, what year it came out, and any other trivia I can dig up.

For years...  seriously YEARS!  I have had this piece stuck on the brain.  The late 70s and early 80s were a time when you could hear almost anything on top 40 radio.  You could hear an Eagles song next to a song by Earth, Wind & Fire.  You could hear Led Zeppelin next to Chuck Mangione.  It was CRAZY.  That was also a time when jazz artists were playing instrumentals a lot.  In those days, we heard "Rise" by Herb Alpert or "Feels So Good" by Chuck Mangione.  They were kind of the two top acts...

For so many years, I thought this instrumental was done by either Herb or Chuck.  I was WRONG.


"Morning Dance"... 

For years, I've had this stuck in my head.  I haven't heard it before today in probably thirty years.  I wouldn't have heard it today had I not been messing around on YouTube.  Another piece by Spyro Gyra was playing and it sounded similar.  So I went Googling, found a greatest hits album, and sure enough FINALLY satisfied that itch.  I downloaded the album, too.  Another musical earworm mystery solved.

Here's another ringing endorsement for record companies not being so shitty about music on YouTube.  I would not have bought the album had I not identified the piece on YouTube.  That's something to think about, don't you agree?

One more musical mystery is finally solved!  How exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.