Friday, June 2, 2017

I just made a very sad discovery...

For months, maybe even years, I've been playing this woman named Anna C. on SongPop.  She had an attractive profile picture that she never changed and was supposedly from New York City.  When she first started playing me, she was not a particularly good player.  It was easy to beat her.  Then she got a lot better, even to the point of scoring impossibly high by picking the right songs almost instantly.

I also noticed that Anna never seemed to make any progress toward mastering a certain playlist.  I wondered how it was that she could play certain playlists over and over again and never make progress toward completing them.

Yesterday, I got a random challenge by some person in another country.  I usually get irritated by these requests because a lot of the time, the person's music tastes are not compatible with mine.  I end up having to guess on playlists from Brazil or horrible techno rap or something.  So I went looking to see if I could find a way to stop the random challenge requests.  I was unsuccessful in my search, but then I found a discussion going on about SongPop's computer generated "bots" that trick players into thinking they are real people.

When it comes to SongPop, a little goes a long way.  I like playing a couple of games a day, but I don't like it when someone constantly wants to play.  Besides that, I think it's creepy that there are random bots out there trying to start games with people.  Why not let me know you're a bot before we spend months or years challenging each other?  I guess if that were possible, Anna would be a human and not a bot, right?

I probably should have realized she was a bot when I saw that she had so many games going.  I have enough on my hands with less than ten games.  Some people have over 100 games at a time.  Who's got the time or the patience for that?

Ah yes... the things I do to keep from going crazy from boredom.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I have just discovered the exact same thing! I googled it and your post appeared. Same bot Anna C from New York. I often wondered too why she never mastered a playlist. I also tried to chat with her several times but that feature is turned off for her profile. I’ve had an inkling for a while now that this may be the case and I’m glad I found out because I also have been playing with her for years. After I grew tired of the game I kept playing with just her because she was so persistent in wanting to keep playing by continually “nudging”. Well, I’m done now! Ha ha jokes on me I guess!!๐Ÿ˜‚ Thank you for your post ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated.