Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Star Trekkin'...

I was never a fan of the old TV series, Star Trek, but plenty of my peers loved the show.  Consequently, I remember very well when a parody song about Star Trek came into being.  The year was 1987.  The band was called The Firm.  They were Brits with a keen sense of humor.


And they hired art students called The Film Garage to make a clever video...

This song became quite successful.  It was released by Bark Records and the first pressing was just 500 units, which were sent to British radio stations.  The song took off and eventually sold over a million copies, although apparently the band's success was a flash in the pan.

Someone posted a meme on Facebook yesterday, which made me think of this song.  I will admit the first time I heard it was in the early 90s, when I worked at my college's radio station.  I used to have the radio show after a couple of geeks who played new wave songs from the 80s as well as silly stuff like this.  Later, the song was used at the summer camp where I used to work.  A guest counselor taught the kids a dance to go with the song, which they all seemed to love.

I can't believe this is thirty years old...  How quickly time passes when you get to be middle aged!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.