Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Toby Beau...

I have an old CD that has "hard to find" hits on it.  One of the songs on that CD is by Toby Beau, of the hit song, "My Angel Baby".


Toby Beau is apparently a band, not a single singer.

Wikipedia tells me that Toby Beau is a Texas band that was formed in the early 70s.  The band got its name from one of the last wooden shrimp boats docked in the Gulf of Mexico town of Port Isabel, Texas.    

Toby Beau had one major hit, the aforementioned "My Angel Baby", which I remember was always on the radio circa 1978.  Despite not making it big with a bunch of huge hits, Toby Beau is still in existence today and tours.  Back in the day, they used to tour with big acts like Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band and the Doobie Brothers.  But, aside from their one hit wonder in "My Angel Baby", they never really hit it big themselves.

One of the original band members, Daniel McKenna, who had a hand in writing "My Angel Baby", died by his own hand back in 2006.  According to his daughter, Emily, McKenna had really bad allergies to grass, trees, dust, and even some foods.  The allergies were hell to live with and kept him from doing what he loved.  Sounds like a very sad ending for a talented guy.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.