Thursday, March 8, 2018

Ode to a dog...

Here's something from the "shit I never knew" file.  The song, "Shannon" by Henry Gross, is about a dead Irish Setter.  I found this out by listening to a recording of the late Casey Kasem going off about having to dedicate a song to some people whose dog, Snuggles, had just died.  Below is Casey's rant.


I grew up listening to Casey Kasem's Top 40 countdown every weekend.  I never knew he had such a potty mouth!

Anyway, this guy wrote to Casey Kasem about his dog who had died.  Casey was recording his show for September 14, 1985.  They had just played "Dare Me" by the Pointer Sisters.  Kasem thought it was inappropriate to do a death dedication after such an uptempo song.


"Shannon" was about Beach Boy Carl Wilson's dog, an Irish Setter, who had died.

Honestly, before today, I don't think I had ever heard this song in its entirety.  I do remember hearing snippets of it on one of those ads for compilation records.  "Shannon" was Henry Gross's big solo hit in 1976, even though he was part of the 50s parody act, Sha Na Na.  

Actually, as I watch my own dogs get older, I realize this song could end up being a comfort to me, too.  The song reminds me of something I'd hear on The Partridge Family or something.  But the melody is pretty enough.  Gross gave this song sort of a Beach Boys sound.  

There are several different stories about the song "Shannon".  This is the version that seems the most plausible to me.  I see it's also on Gross's own Web site, so I guess it's the truth.

It's a nice song... maybe a little bit corny, but anyone who has ever loved a dog understands the sentiment.  Losing them is the worst part of having them.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated.